Sunday, November 24, 2013

Assigned entry #4 food inc.

Overall the food inc. video was very informative. It kind of made me weary of what I'm actually eating. My family is from Eastern Europe (Ukraine and Bulgaria to be specific). Though we haven't seemed to e very religious lately, we are Eastern Orthodox. When my dad was alive we would celebrate Christmas and Easter every year by getting a lamb for a feast. Now I don't mean we went to to the store and bought a rack of lamb or a leg of lamb. We would literally go to my dad's friends house, pick out a live lamb, take it home and my dad and my uncle would"prepare" it for dinner the day before Easter. As a child I was sad at first because my pet lamb that I'd get every year would always "run away" or "jump the fence" but as I grew older. I'd help them. I eventually became kind of numb to the whole process.It was tradition and it had to do with Jesus being the "Lamb of God". Once my dad passed away and my uncle moved back to Bulgaria it only took a few years for us to settle the tradition down. Lamb has just been too hard to find lately. Honestly the lamb you can buy at the store or a butcher shop somewhere doesn't even compare to the fresh, untainted, naturally raised lamb we would have every year. Even though it may seem cruel to some people. We were never mean or malicious to the animal. They would have a good week prior to their end. they roamed my back yard, ate our grass for us. There was no mistreatment of the animal unlike the images of the animals in the video. The chickens being to large to walk. The cows being moved by fork lifts. Not to mention the actual living conditions of the animals. Stuffed into cages and pens with no room to move. up to there bellies in their own shit. We wonder why people get infections from food and this really answers it.

1 comment:

  1. Your personal connection and experience with these lambs is interesting and engaging. After recounting your past, the next step is to fully analyze how this is different from what you saw and why that matters.

    ReplyDelete